Tuesday 24 March 2015

Mask/Stencil Week - Journal Page

Hi All,

another journal page from me this week (sorry!! ish) as this is where I mostly use my large collection of stencils and masks when I'm playing.

I wanted to take some layer by layer process pics for you but I got a bit carried away so they start from layers 4 and 5...........


I started by laying down some collage fodder, using some birthday wrapping paper and some text printed tissue paper. The second layer applied was some random background stamping followed by a third layer consisting of blocks of different coloured acrylic paint. The fourth layer was a darker coat of acrylic over the whole page.

Hmmmm! I'm not sure if you would count stage 5 as a layer really as technically I have taken something away rather than added it? Anyhoo, using multiple Tando stencils (distressed diamond mini, Giovanna Eighties, distorted harlequin, distorted hive, Neil Walker Random 3 and diamond circles)  I removed some of the 4th layer of darker acrylic by placing the stencils where I wanted them to go and rubbing through them with a baby wipe (a technique I first became aware of via Dina Wakely), how much or little you remove is entirely up to you.


Layer 6 consists of some gesso applied through the distressed sequin mini mask.


Layer 7 was my border and highlight layer, the border was simply a run round the edge with a large black india ink brush pen followed by a white gel pen to add the dashes. I added highlights/detail by replacing the masks/stencils on the page and used a black fine liner to add the bits I wanted.


The final 8th layer consists of a quote (my own as far as I know!) and a focal point. I felt that the page needed a large image and chose to leave this black and white for more contrast, it is a large mixed-media doll stamp from my stash (Prima) stamped onto white card.

Here is what I used................

Mini Mask - Distressed Sequins

Mini Mask - Distressed Diamond

Distorted Harlequin Mask

Distorted Hive Mask

Mask - Diamond Circles

Giovanna - Eighties

Neil Walker Mask - Random 3

If you fancy joining in with any of this months themes please add your work through the link at the top of the page to be in with a chance of winning a prize in the March Challenge.

Many thanks for popping by and leaving a comment if you feel you would like to.

Hugs

Dawn x 

2 comments:

Kaz said...

Fabulous page Dawn, Love how many stencils you got on it! xxx

Gez Butterworth said...

Brilliant! Love seeing how it came together ♥